Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Back of My Hand

Yesterday was a truly amazing day. I lead my first group exercise class here at the clinic; I had 9 ladies between the ages of 36-51, no exercise equipment, and an iPod. We had a great time, before we started they only wanted to have class once a week but this morning when I got to work they were asking if we can do it again this afternoon. I never thought my first project would be leading an aerobics class with a bunch of nurses in their uniforms singing Katy Perry while doing chair exercises.
I’ve always felt most at home on the pool deck and that’s exactly where I’ll be in two weeks we’re starting a new learn to swim program here in New Amsterdam. Two days a week another volunteer and I will teach two classes at a privately owned swimming pool. I can’t wait to start teaching lessons again and start an instructor training program, I’m beyond excited.

In the middle of a swim lessons meeting last night I got a text from one of my best friends, Mallory, telling me she is 7 ½ weeks pregnant and due the day after my birthday, January 12. She had just heard the baby’s heartbeat for the first time and all I could think about is all the heartbeats I hear at work on antenatal day and how incredible it is that Mallory is hearing her baby’s heartbeat.


Mallory, I will think of you every time I hear a baby’s heartbeat. I’m so happy for you, you’re going to be an amazing mother and I can’t wait to meet your baby!
I believe that everything happens for a reason and I am exactly where I’m supposed to be, helping these ladies here at the clinic and sharing the one thing I know like the back of my hand, swimming.
Cross my heart and kiss my elbow,
Love and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment