Tuesday, April 19, 2011

... and the world will live as one


“We’re called to hold our hands against the wounds of a broken world, to stop the bleeding.”
Don Miller
Since I was a little girl what I’ve wanted to be when I grow up has been an ever changing adventure, when I was four it was an apple, at ten a cardiologist, but for the last seven years since I was sixteen I’ve wanted to be a Peace Corps Volunteer. Last week on Wednesday April 13, 2011 that dream officially became a reality. Swearing in was not at all what I expected it to be, it was grossly hot and awkward but on Guyana national television in front of the entire staff and support system we’ve had in country 36 new volunteers mumbled through the oath that’s been pledged for 50 years.
I’m all moved into my new apartment in New Amsterdam, and it’s starting to feel like home, like I’ll be living here for two years. I hung up pictures and cards from the best family and friends anyone could ask for. Yesterday was my first day of work at the New Amsterdam Family Health Center, and I can’t believe I’m finally here, doing what I’ve been wanting for so long.
We were told not to go into this experience with any expectations, which is impossible, but they couldn’t have given any better advice. In two months I’ve grown and changed in ways I didn’t know possible, I’ve built relationships and formed bonds with so many amazingly different people when I was so convinced that I wouldn’t have a friend on the continent. Thursday morning after swearing in we were saying our goodbyes in the hotel lobby as we moved to our permanent sites, one friend was pulling away in a taxi, the others standing with our arms around each other choking back tears, when a friend who hadn’t said goodbye came around the corner at the exact moment the girl in the taxi turned and waved out the window, he dropped his bags and ran after the taxi, they stopped and hugged goodbye. They’ve known each other for two months. I’ve said a million times that my life could/should be a reality show but that was the most made for TV moment I’ve ever witnessed.

Cross my heart and kiss my elbow,
Love and peace

No comments:

Post a Comment